Visa for China
Ever since I've been in Japan somehow I always have to deal with visa's or immigration applications of some sort.. This time it's applying for a visa to goto China. Japanese citizens don't need a visa to goto China however since I'm an American I have to get one. I guess the China-U.S. relationship still isn't going so hot?
Last week I specifically asked for the day off on Jan. 4th to go apply for the Chinese visa at the Chinese Embassy. The Embassy is located in Roppongi and surround by something that looks like a Great Wall. Of course as you know me I overslept and got there at 3PM. I thought they would still be open then but who would have figured their hours are only from 9 to 12PM! I don't want to say they are lazy but what kind of office work only 3 hours in a workday?
Anyway I went there again the next morning and gave them my application. On the application they asked me for my previous Nationality so I put down Taiwan. Then the lady told me in this stereotypical Chinese high-pitch voice and said "You cannot write Taiwan! Write China!" I was like what the?? I mean, we have a totally different government in Taiwan, hell we can't even get into China without applying for a visa. Apparently China does not recognize Taiwan as its own country and they desparately want to get Taiwan back so they could "unify" China. What ticked me off even more is that they charged me 6000 yen for a single entry to China when it usually cost Japanese 3000 yen only. When I asked why they said "because you're American". Urg.
Well I got my visa okay and everything's fine now. On a side note, on the way to the Embassy I saw a Natural Lawson for the first time. If you don't know Lawson it's a convenient store like Seven Eleven. Natural Lawson is like an organic version. They have a big selection of water, fruits, veggies, cheese and Earth friendly biodegradable detergents, while still carrying normal stuff also. I guess only in Tokyo would you have enough costomers who are seeking for convenience while being health concious. At least my bottle of oxygenized super mineral water helped me chill out a lot!!日本に来てからなんかビサとすごく縁がある気がする。 今度は中国に遊びに行くためビサを申請するんだ。 日本人はビサがいらないで中国に行けるけど、あたしはアメリカ人だから必要だった。 中米関係はまだまだうまくいかないだろうか。
先週の一月4日に、ビサを申請するため、わざわざ会社から休みをお願いしてた。 中国大使館は六本木にあって、壁は微妙に万里長城っぽく見えるね。 もち ろんあたしはその日に寝坊して、午後3時に着いた。 絶対まだやってるだろうなぁっと思って、なんと朝九時から12時しかやってない! 怠けものだと言い たくないけど、どんな事務所が一日3時間しか働かないんだよ。
とにかく次の日にもう一回行って、申請書を出した。 申請書に前の国籍を書いてくださいって、「台湾」って書いた。 そしたら、受付の子がものすごく高い声で 「台湾書いちゃいけない!中国を書いて!」 もう、わけわからなくなってきた。 台湾の政府は中国とまったく別々だ。 台湾人はビサがないと中国に入れない なのに。 確か中国は台湾が自分の国ていうことを認められないから。 さらにムカついたのは一回だけのビサは日本人が3000円なのに、あたしには6000円 だった。 なんでだろうと聞いたら、「あなたがアメリカ人だから」。 ムカーッ。
結局無事でビサをもらったので、大丈夫だった。 話題を変わって、大使館に着く前にNatural Lawsonを 初めて見た。健康にいい、オーガニックなLawsonみたいな感じだった。 たくさんのお水から選択できて、果物、野菜、チーズ、地球に優しい洗剤とかあ る。こういう贅沢なコンビニは東京にしか売れないと思う。 ま、酸素たっぷり入ったスーパーウォーターのおかげで落ち着いたよ!


8 Comments:
haha that's great that u got the visa..
^__^ now we can be together for.. a while.. hahah
u know it's kinda funny.. since we're actually Taiwanese..but the Japanese ppl think ur american! XD
i like ur new blog.. it's neat <3
A Happy New Year Chrissy!
Long time no see!
How are you?
It sounds really strange about getting a visa for China. I'm not sure if I completely understand what's going on between Taiwan and China. But I just feel China has been rude to Taiwan in many ways. I just hope the relationwhip will be better!
Anyway, hope to see you soon!
やっほ〜クリッシー。
あやだよ。
大変だったね。あたしもビザは結構大変。また今年の夏に書き換えだよ〜!
中国なにしにいくの〜?観光?
南の方の丸いかっこの山がみたい。(スーパーマリオの山みたいなやつ)
Wendy: thanks Sis for visiting my new blog! I'm getting confused lately on what Nationality I actually am!!
Mayo: MAYO!! I'm so glad to hear from you! I'm sorry I've been so busy but we should get together after I come back from Shanghai! Then I can tell you whether it's awkward or awesome being a Taiwanese American in China.
Aya: コメントありがとう!アヤのビサ無事出来るといいね~。 中国は観光しに行くよ! 家族と上海で待ち合わせて、中国旧暦新年を過ごすの。 アハハ、確かに丸い山はスーパーマリオみたい! アヤのimaginationすごい!!
Hey Chrissy, genki~??
Wow sounds good that you're going to Shanghai. We had a great time there in 2004. I bet the city has been more upgraded since then, enjoy your trip!!! Oh, but I don't recommend you buying anything in the street market... everything is so cheap but it doesn't last... hahahahh!!
Hi Sami!
I heard some horror stories from my coworker who just got back from Shanghai! He said everyone wipes the plates before they use them... And that the Shanghai crab's not in season right now. D'oh!!
Hey, just dropped by to see how things were going back in ol' Jay P. Looks like you had a time getting that Visa. Its always an adventure, even at the Japanese Immigration dept. The last time I went, I had cancelled my working Visa as my time was up but I was still touring. Then, out of pure habit and the advise of a travel agent in Fukuoka, I tried to get another reentry permit for a short trip over to Korea. The guy at the Fukuoka office raced downt the hall to stop me from buying the reentry stamp (you know, the silly one they only sell off site at the conbini down the street and or hall if you are in Fukuoka). "Stop! You cannot get a reentry Visa!" he tells me. I am in shock, having already spent the money on the boat ticket to Busan. Oh, god what hell is about to befall me, since now, I only have a tourist Visa and the government is probably not going to go to bat for me if there is any sort of serious mix up? So, we trudged back to the immigration office, I prepared for the worst, and assuming I was about 17,000 yen out of pocket and no where to go on my last 2 weeks in Asia. We get into the office and a kind women whose English is far better than my Japanese calms us both down and informs me that I don't need to fork over the usual 3,000 yen because I am a tourist now, not a resident worker! Probably only an entertaining story for folks who have had to deal with it!
Hi Klikenstein! Thx for checking out my blog. I tried to reply to your comment before but my blog was acting wierd.
I dunno why the Japanese can be so reluctant about giving their visas. Perhaps it's their way to shape the identity of their country. I don't know any foreigner who never had a hard time with their visa in Japan!
Post a Comment
<< Home